People have been flooding my email with questions asking how I did ‘it’. What did I do? How could I have 2,250 followers and over 16,000 hits in just 40 days?
So out of respect for inquiring minds I will share some of my ‘tips’ on how to be a ‘prominent’ member of the blogging community.
Five things NOT TO DO (so don’t do them!)
1. Don’t ‘spam’ people or promote your events, products, books etc. in other bloggers comment boxes. Even worse, do not leave an address or a link to your blog or product, many bloggers don’t like this. Exceptions would be if you are leaving a personal invite to someone you ‘know’ in the blogging community. I myself don’t mind when people do this but you could come across some nastiness if you ‘spam’ people.
2. Do not make your quote or poem so short people can read it from the Reader. Why not you ask? Why would people click on your blog if everything from your most current post is fully available to read? People are busy, if they can see all there is to see, they will move on and you will miss a hit on your page.
3. What is the biggest mistake that I’ve made so far? I learned this only recently. Do not republish your posts. It will break the link to social media sites that you have sent your page to, like Stumble Upon, Pinterest, Facebook etc. People will click on the submitted image hoping to read your post only to receive a broken link. Instead re blog your own post to get it back into the reader or to the top of your infinite scroll blog. Republishing will prompt a page not found script like this:
4. Do not make your posts too long. While people like a good read, if a post is too long winded or too long in length people will quickly lose interest and move on to the the next blog, especially if your opening paragraph is not engaging. So if you must and sometimes you should incorporate long posts into your blog, take care with your opening paragraph.
5. Do not and I repeat DO NOT forget to give proper photo props and links to other people’s work. Be sure that you have permission to use other people’s work before attempting to duplicate any of it. Respect people’s blogs. Bloggers work very hard to prepare their site’s for publishing.
Best of luck and continued success to you all with your blogs. I will publish more Tips and How To’s and How Not To’s in the weeks to come.
Here is a great article about promoting your blog and social media for those of you that are interested in learning more about it.
5 Ways to Promote your Blog http://organisedclutter.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/5-ways-to-promote-your-blog/#comment-949